FSSAI license is mandatory to carry any business activity which deals with
production, manufacture, processing, distribution, selling, import, export,
the stock of any food article or beverage and it includes Dairy Business,
Meat processing, Hotels.
Advantages of FSSAI license & compliance thereof.
FSSAI license certifies that food is tested and the hygiene, sanitary and
safety requirements as set by the government of India have been followed by
the business entity.
Punishment for carrying on business without FSSAI license
The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 strictly prohibits any person or
food business operator to engage into manufacturing, selling, distribution
or imports of any food product without FSSAI license, punishment with
imprisonment for 6 months and also with a fine upto Rs. 5,00,000.
Who does not require FSSAI license but needs registration?
Any small food business operator who manufactures or sells any food item
himself or a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or temporary stall
holder or distributes foods including in any religious or social gathering
except a caterer are exempted from FSSAI license, but it is mandatory for
them to register with Food Authority. The annual turnover of these Food
Business Operator is less than Rs. 12 lakhs. Once these Petty food business
operators register with Food Authority, Certificate of Registration and a
photo identity card.
Categories of FSSAI license: 2 types, Central and State, depending upon the
turnover /output or storage capacity of Food business operator.
- 1. State Fsssai license is mandatory for food Business operator(FBO) if
- Its Annual turnover of FBO is above 12 lakhs, or
- It is 3 star hotels and above, or
- If Transporter having 100 vehicles or turn over up to 30 crore
- 2. Central FSSAI license is mandatory for food Business operator (FBO) if:
- Its installed capacity of production is more than 2MT/day
- Its annual turnover is above Rs. 20 crores, or
- Its business operations in more than one state, or
- FBO is engaged in import or export of food products, or
- It is Five-star Hotels and above
Documents Required for FSSAI State and Central License:
- 1. Blueprint or layout plan of the processing unit
- 2. List of Directors or partners with full address and contact details
- 3. Photo ID and address proof issued by Government authority of
Proprietor or Partner or Director(s)
- 4. Name and List of Equipment and Machinery along with their number,
- 5. List of food category desired to be manufactured. (In case of
- 6. Authority letter with name and address of responsible person
nominated by the manufacturer along with alternative responsible person
indicating the powers vested with them viz assisting the officers in
inspections, a collection of samples, packing & dispatch. (Mandatory for
manufacturing and processors).
- 7. Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of water to be used as
an ingredient in food from a recognized or public health laboratory to
confirm the portability (mandatory only for manufacturing and processing
- 8. A Copy of sale deed or Rent agreement or electricity bill
- 9. A copy of Partnership Deed or Affidavit or AOA & MOA towards the
- constitution of the firm.
- 10. A copy of certificate obtained under Co-Op Act 1861/Multi State
- Co-Op Act 2002 for Co-Operatives. (if applicable).
- 11. Food Safety Management System plan or certificate (if any).
- 12. Source of raw material for meat and meat processing plants. (if
- 13. Pesticide residues report of water (for packaged drinking water
- 14. NOCs from Municipality or local body. (optional)
- 15. Supporting document proof for turnover
- 16. Import Export?Code document issued by DGFT(dealing with import and
export of food products)